This evening we went out to take care of chores and give a few of the lambs their nightly bottle. When we were finished Hon opened the fence for me, I walked through, and he said he would close up the gate. What he didn't notice (and no, I didn't notice it either) was that one end of the chain had fallen onto one of the electric strands. Hon grabbed the chain, there was a big 'ole popping sound, a spark, and Hon went sailing backward. Because I'm such a quick thinker, the first thing that came out of my mouth was, "Woah, that's gotta hurt!" To which he replied, "No s**t! You think?!" I can't help it. I laughed. When the tears started rolling down my cheeks I told him it was because I could feel his pain, but he didn't believe me. He did, however, tell me that he didn't think it would hurt that bad, and that he felt it all the way down into his knees.
Because I felt bad about the giggles over his tangle with the fence, I said I'd get a stick and move the chain off the wire, but he said he'd do it. My hero! When he got a stick and moved the chain off the wire, the whole chain came off and fell onto it. There was quite a display of orange and yellow fireworks, along with the sound of fire crackers popping over and over. At that point I told him there's no way I'm getting that off. Safety first, you know. The good thing is after a few more attempts, and dropping it down onto the lower electric strand, the chain eventually made its way to the ground. As I write this I wonder why neither of us thought to go unplug the thing. Hmmmmmmm..
I would like to admit I was in no way unscathed from the fence this week. I, too, got zapped right in the behind a few days ago. Hon had put up the temporary electric fence in the yard and put the strands awful close to my herb garden. I was out there with Young'un pulling weeds, bent my behind too close to the fence, and got a big jolt that had me tripping over the little decorative fencing around the herb garden. I figure having just sat down in the wet grass didn't help the situation, and that bit of moisture really helped conduct the electricity. Instead of laughing, though, Young'un made sure I was okay and said he was sorry that happened. He must have gotten his maturity from Hon.
So, there you have it, folks. I finally witnessed someone else getting zapped by the electric fence...and it didn't take paying a kid $5 to test it, either. No, don't ask. That's a whole other story. Smiling & Waving, Sharon